Sunday 5 June 2011

Arrival at SSW!


After getting directed through Aberdeen’s rush-hour traffic by my not-so-trusty sat nav, I arrive in Lumsden. I get the tour of SSW by Emily - the place seems very quiet, as I’m the only resident currently here. I go off for a walk toward some abandoned houses Emily has mentioned, looking for hidden spaces. I find an interesting selection. The first is a small ruin with a colourful interior of ornate wallpaper and tiles, with a beautiful vista of the surrounding countryside. The second house is higher up the hill and in a cow’s field. Appearing outwardly less ruinous, until a look around inside shows otherwise. The strangest feature is an armchair suspended high upon a wall, poltergeist-style. Walking back down the hill I see signs for Lumsden Reservoir – a covered facility whose only visible aspect is a small building with a methodic clunking sound – another mysterious space. Several birds fly over making strange calls that sound a bit like a person imitating a bird, sometimes to each other, sometimes to me. They have black tufts of feathers on their heads, and seems to appear from nowhere, elegantly swooping and surveying the fields. After their performance and back at SSW, I peek around the metal casting area, looking at the great blocks of impacted sand as a possible carving medium. Ganghut’s hut is an appealing construction with a great view from the window, and a deck outside for lounging, not to mention the famous Squennis championship table.

No comments:

Post a Comment