Wednesday 8 June 2011

Colds and Cardboard Discs


Trying not to be defeated by the onset of a cold bug that does its best to zap energy and clarity of thought (possibly a consequence of the fallout from two days of hammer drilling in a Glasgow subway underpass last week), I persisted with my studio experimentation. After making some angular and rather unappealing forms a few days ago, I hit on the idea of ‘evolving’ shapes from a simple building-block, such as a small disc of card. Either by jigsawing or using the hole-saw, I’ve began cutting hundreds of these and joining them together as tube-like lengths with Hard As Nails (not No More Nails, but its cheap copy), and ironically, some nails. This seems to work well, and sort of references Theo Jansen’s method of using the most basic form (his were sections of yellow plastic electrical conduit) and building from it more complex shapes. I’ve found I can easily create junctions by bifurcating the tubes (photos should follow of some of these forms). I’m now making smaller discs, and perhaps more complex arrangements. After I suggested adding a tubing system to the Table Squennis wall, Nuno now thinks I’m obsessed with tubing, tunnels and conduits, which I have to admit is pretty much correct! I hope the Not No More Nails But Hard As Nails, And Nails will burn out ok with the card when we begin the horse dung mold process, but that’s a concern for another time. Also, I want to wish Deniz good luck for her Rampa show and interviews. I can’t be there in person, but I’ll be there in spirit.
http://www.rampaistanbul.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment