Tuesday 14 June 2011

A la (Horse 'n') Carte Menu

 
For starters... planet of the shapes. Inverted shapes. Waxed for better burnout, and this also tends to add strength. These are the first forms but more will follow when I begin to get an idea of what the final forms look like (or indeed what they don't look like).
And here's the raw mold-making material itself! Now all I need is sand, clay, charcoal, water, several buckets, some wood shavings, a burnout kiln, patience and some music (you can't do this in silence)!
 And for the main course... dung, clay and old resin-bonded sand (I'm recycling for now). The first coat has no dung whatsoever. Charcoal is used instead, for better detail on the mold. Therefore I crushed the coal remnants from the LALDI barbeque. The dung mixed well, but did require a bit more clay than the recipe suggested. Now with two coats the four molds I have covered need to dry. This is easier said than done with our ever-changeable climate!
My little turd-covered objects on the Gang Hut. Since I'm the only resident at present, my studio is in the new building, and the dungmix is getting assembled here, with the nice view! I'll also soon spread out to the fire space when building the kiln, but for now I've just got to keep adding the layers. (and yes, it has been a very sunny day, which makes a change)
And finally, a species that does the whole layered interior structure so much better than I can. A tiny (empty) wasp nest, found under a bench. Maybe I should chew my card instead, and regurgitate it into spherical forms?

No comments:

Post a Comment